Friday, October 9, 2009

Lesson 1: Describing an Object


Captain ‘Guin

Captain ‘Guin is no ordinary clay penguin. Without feet, he sits still on my window sill most of the day. As I hold him in my hand, I feel the distinct difference between ‘Guin’s coarse charcoal-black body and his sleek lemony yellow chest. The old paint he wears is chipped all over his body, like little freckles. Two stubby wings lie flat on the Captain’s belly. A pointy, canary yellow beak pops out from his shiny blue-white face. Captain ‘Guin’s rugged eye patch covers the fact that he has no left eye, and shows that he will always be a pirate.

2 comments:

  1. How difficult it is to describe an inanimate object, yet, you have done so well. "Captain ‘Guin’s rugged eye patch covers the fact that he has no left eye, and shows that he will always be a pirate." - This certainly brings him to life! Haha - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom just emailed me about your blog. I'm so impressed! I love that you have the courage to share your writing, which is imaginative and descriptive!

    Your description of Captain 'Guin is terrific. I love your word choices, such as "two stubby wings" and "pointy, canary yellow beak pops out."

    Keep up the excellent work. I look forward to reading more.

    Mrs. Kautzer
    WriteShop

    ReplyDelete