Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Lesson 5: Describing a Food

Birthday Cake

As the glass top is removed from its tall plate “Happy 13th Birthday Justine” appears in beautiful cursive letters of cerulean icing, and thirteen multi-colored candles peek out from the top of the cake. The faint, sweet smell of cocoa fills my nostrils while I look for something to cut the baked good. Stiff but delicate, the chocolate frosting easily cracks as a knife chops through the treat’s shell. The fluffy slice falls apart while flopping onto a stone cold plate. This sugary, delectable dessert explodes with a dark, fudgy flavor. Cheerfully, I blow out the candles on this rich and scrumptious sweet, bringing my birthday party to an end.

2 comments:

  1. Great adjectives. (I had to look up "cerulean!")

    Did you blow out the candles after the cake was cut? That's the order you have listed the events.

    I especially liked the "sweet smell of cocoa fills my nostrils" and the "fluffy slice falls apart while flopping..." Great sense words and alliteration!

    Keep up the terrific writing!!!

    Mrs. FitzGerald

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out Liz! Let's say that's an oversight that never should have got past the editor... Natalie:)

    ReplyDelete